Friday, 24 July 2020 at 4:00 PM to Sunday, 26 July 2020 at 9:00 PM
Organiser: Michael Baird
Two day Alpine Skills course through Hillary Outdoors.
We will go up to Ruapehu on the Friday, stay somewhere, do the course on Saturday, stay somewhere, and continue the course on Sunday.
Prerequisites of going:
- Must have done an AIC/Snowcraft course, or had good experience in snowy terrain. Knowing how to use an iceaxe, crampons is essential.
- Although spaces are limited to eight people, this is not a first come first served. Spaces will go to people who will use the skills the most, and who will give back to the club the most.
- If you have a car.... that's great ;)
- If you want to go you should probably talk to either the Chief Guide or Assistant Chief Guide.
We have space for (2 groups of 4), so in theory one group could be more experienced than the other. So if you feel like you have some expereince as well, but would like to do more advanced things/put to practice on the course get in touch.
From Hillary Outdoor's website:
This short course provides a progression to the 2-day introductory course. Here we will focus on moving into more technical terrain where ropes and anchors are important for safety. This should provide skills to make those South Island trips a safe experience.
- Use ice axes and crampons while walking on steep snow and icy slopes and mixed terrain.
- Rope-work for climbing and descending steeper terrain.
- Two tool climbing techniques
- Self and party management
Cost is TBC but the club will be subsidising it a bit/a lot.
Login to see Trip Emergency Contact.
This trip has already happened!