By Meike Pummer, 11 April 2022
WAYS IN WHICH WE FAFFED AT KAWAKAWA BAY
** the fact that there was three of us on a climbing trip meant that this trip was destined for faff, here is a description of how we did this that no one needed **
- The speedy supermarket shop of questionable choices which lead to no dinner but also 30kg packs, next time I'm taking the boat in.
- Carrying 2x trad racks in and out without using them once, definitely added hoursssss to the walk, next time I'm taking the boat in.
- Making pancakes in a tin billy on day one which turned into a 2 hour ordeal, a ball of dough, and no pancakes
- The obvious one, which was having three people and one rope and having to rotate climbers and belayers
- Forgetting to untie the figure 8 in the end of the rope before pulling the rope through (rookie mistake) and having to wait till Matt arrived the next day to climb the neighboring climb and untie it for us…
- Spending all afternoon projecting one climb way above our climb grade just for the epic shots and sick view
- Assuming that Matt and Adam were a quick climbing pair as they talked themselves up and deciding to wait below them on captain caveman for them to finish before realizing it was all bull sh*t when Matt crossed over three climbs trying to lead the first pic - the disaster is shown in my annotated pic below, you'll know which one.
- Spending 30 minutes trying to finish the final pitch of captain caveman on lead (19) in the sweating sun when I should have just cut my losses at the end of the day and climbed the cop out 15.
- Not really thinking when I first set up my tent which was under a canopy of trees and spending the first night getting zero sleep because of the tree roots before resetting it the next day for 20 minutes when I should have just done that in the first place.
- Just the overall disorganization of a chill climbing trip
- Spending 20 minutes in Kinloch rich suburbia with Matt and Adam trying to retrieve their car key from their 'hiding' place in the bonnet of their car - pretty sure you can't classify it as hiding if it is in fact lost - bless the old man who came and saved us from another 5 hours of this.
- Walking over the hill instead of taking a water taxi… as the climbers of K bay say; I've done my walking time next time I'm coming by boat
Photographic Evidence of Said Faff
What I spent all my time doing while the boys tried to multipitch and ended up only making it up one pitch before the sun started to set and had to bail
Waited behind Matt and Adam to climb Captain Caveman assuming they were fast climbers before watching this debacle occur and realizing it was all bull sh*t.
The multi pitch which turned into a single pitch which turned into us having to get Matt to rescue our rope for us
The grade 21 project of ours was clearly worth the pics…